Sunday, June 26, 2011

Let's Eat PIE! (Mango Apple Pie)

Nothing like pie to make a girl feel good.
I bitched at my boyfriend last night. Now he's at wrestling camp, probably taking his emotions out on the mat. But where will I take out my frustrations? IN THE KITCHEN goddammit.


There's a lot of fruit in my house lately. We've been making a lot of juice. Today I made pie, inspired by the Cupcake Project. It doesn't really matter what kind of fruit you use, but I used an apple and two yellow mangoes. I made 6 mini pies in a muffin pan. This pie ROCKS because the crust has orange zest, which makes it a nice complement to the fruit filling.

First you make the lovely pie dough:
  • 1.25 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 stick of butter (room temperature is fine)
  • 2 egg yolks
  • Zest of half an orange (no orange? No problem. Use a lemon. Or some other citrus fruit.)
  1. Clean your counter. Or if you don't want a mess, use a large bowl.
  2. Put the flour and sugar on your counter or in your bowl.
  3. Make a well in the center of the flour-sugar mountain and put in butter, egg yolks, and zest.
  4. Get down and dirty; this is an excellent way to take out stress and frustration. Knead everything until you've got a dough.
  5. Cover in plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
Look at those flecks of orange zest!
While your dough chills, delete all previous texts from your boyfriend and make fruit filling:
  • 2.5 cups of fruit (I used apples and mangoes)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  1. Cut up your fruit.
  2. Mix it up with all the other ingredients.
Add any extra fruit filling to ice cream: YUMMY.
Assembly: Roll out dough until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Experiment and see how large it needs to be in order to fit into your muffin pan. If you don't have a rolling pin, use your hands and pat the dough down until you've achieved desired thickness (teehee). You can do whatever top you like; I prefer the lattice crust but to each his own! Bake in a 350 degree oven for about half an hour, or until your filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good! I've never put mango in my pies! Thanks for sharing with me and I'm glad that you enjoyed the crust recipe!

    ReplyDelete