|Nothing like pie to make a girl feel good.|
I bitched at my boyfriend last night. Now he's at wrestling camp, probably taking his emotions out on the mat. But where will I take out my frustrations? IN THE KITCHEN goddammit.
There's a lot of fruit in my house lately. We've been making a lot of juice. Today I made pie, inspired by the Cupcake Project. It doesn't really matter what kind of fruit you use, but I used an apple and two yellow mangoes. I made 6 mini pies in a muffin pan. This pie ROCKS because the crust has orange zest, which makes it a nice complement to the fruit filling.
First you make the lovely pie dough:
- 1.25 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick of butter (room temperature is fine)
- 2 egg yolks
- Zest of half an orange (no orange? No problem. Use a lemon. Or some other citrus fruit.)
- Clean your counter. Or if you don't want a mess, use a large bowl.
- Put the flour and sugar on your counter or in your bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour-sugar mountain and put in butter, egg yolks, and zest.
- Get down and dirty; this is an excellent way to take out stress and frustration. Knead everything until you've got a dough.
- Cover in plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
|Look at those flecks of orange zest!|
- 2.5 cups of fruit (I used apples and mangoes)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Cut up your fruit.
- Mix it up with all the other ingredients.
|Add any extra fruit filling to ice cream: YUMMY.|